To serve as a lifeguard for the City of Muskogee Parks and Recreation Department. This position is a part-time, seasonal job located at River Country Family Water Park and Spaulding Pool as scheduled. The lifeguard must be able to work the entire season, May- September. Work hours are scheduled around school days at the beginning and end of summer. *Included will be part-time guards at the Muskogee Swim & Fitness Center.
Primary responsibility is patron surveillance while on duty. Responsible for the safety of all patrons within the aquatic facility. Lifeguards are required to respond to all emergencies in-water, on deck, or at any location within the facility. Enforcing rules and regulations to prevent injuries. Awareness of potential dangers to patrons and staff; notify manager immediately of hazards. Additional responsibilities include opening and closing duties as assigned by the manager and head guard.
Under the direction of the Aquatics Coordinator.
- Enforce all facility rules and regulations.
- Constant scanning and patron surveillance while on the stand.
- Use communication signals to notify lifeguards and call head guards when needing assistance.
- First responder to all emergency situations. Activate and carry out Emergency Action Plan when needed.
- Notify the head guard or manager immediately when you recognize a potential hazard or danger in or around the pool facility.
- Maintain a polite, positive attitude when dealing with the public. Use assertive voice when enforcing rules to the public.
- Complete opening and closing tasks assigned by a head guard. Includes: equipment set-up, cleaning restroom facilities, trash duty, power wash deck, vacuum pools, pick up trash, and inflate tubes. Willingness to accept responsibility in areas other than those specifically assigned.
- Customer service: customer-friendly approach, help patrons without compromising pool surveillance, signal head guard to assist patrons when needed.
- Responsible for scheduled work hours. Must arrive to work on time. Must find own substitute guard when unable to work for any reason. Notify pool manager of schedule changes or emergency if unable to work.
- Must be able to work a rotating schedule seven days a week, up to 25-35 hrs per week, from Memorial Weekend to Labor Day.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Lifeguard Training Certification.
- Pro-Rescuer CPR.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk swim, sit, talk, and hear. The employee is required to use hands and fingers, handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift, pull, push, and/or move heavy items. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee works in outside weather conditions. Employees will be exposed to an outside temperature ranging from 80-105 degrees. The employee is exposed to hot, wet, and humid conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud in the field. The employee is exposed to pool chemicals that must be handled with extreme caution.
Submission of a formal application, rating of education experience, oral interview, and reference check, job-related tests may be required.
This job description is not an employment agreement, contract agreement, or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.